DECA Club can Help Prepare Students for a Business Career

DECA, the Distributive Education Clubs of America, prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management. The club is open to all Division Avenue students enrolled in a Business course and meets every Monday in Room 211 from 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm. Under the expert tutelage of our advisor, Mr. Engels, students begin the year by choosing a business topic from the areas of business management and administration, entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, and hospitality and tourism. Students prepare for a topic either individually or as a team of two. Currently, students are starting to prepare for the upcoming Regional Competition to be held on December 15th at Freeport High School. The first part of the competition is a written cluster exam with 100 multiple choice questions, which is then followed by two role play events related to the student’s chosen topic. For the role play event, each student is allotted some time prior to presenting before the judges, to prepare and make notes. During the interview, students demonstrate their knowledge of the topic with regards to the given scenario. The judges evaluate the participants’ performance on the specific tasks provided and on several follow-up questions. Students that perform well, qualify for the State Competition, which is held in March, at Rochester, NY and those that excel at the State Competition, move on to the International Competition to be held in April at Orlando, FL.

Nikhil Keer