Maddie Gillis Finds Her Path

Maddie Gillis Finds Her Path

Senior Honored by the Town of Hempstead for Leadership

April 10, 2019

Madison Gillis, a senior at Division Avenue High School, was awarded the 2019 Town of Hempstead Pathfinder Award in the high school senior category, by Town of Hempstead Supervisor Laura Gillen. Madison was officially presented with the award during the Pathfinder Awards Ceremony on March 26.

Each year, recipients of the Pathfinder Award are honored in celebration of National Women’s History Month. Madison was nominated for the award by her guidance counselor Elizabeth Thompson for exemplifying outstanding leadership qualities and serving as an inspiration to others. This past February, Madison broke the school’s basketball record for most points scored in her high school career. She is also a dedicated student in the classroom and valued member of the high school community where she serves as a Peer L eader, helping other students reach academic success.

“One of the best things about Maddie is her demeanor,” said Ms. Thompson. “Although tough on the court and field, Maddie is probably one of the nicest students I know. She is unfailingly friendly and polite and is always willing to help others. Her service to school and community ranges from helping her teammates and classmates, mentoring freshmen as a Peer Leader, volunteering with youth sports organizations and participating in and contributing to many fundraisers, food drives and the like.”